Stanwick, Northamptonshire

Copyright © Janet Cutmore 2007-2020  All rights reserved

a glimpse into the past

A brief history

Stanwick - the name

In the 10th century, Stanwick was referred to as Stan Wigga. Later it was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Stanwige and in 1137 in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle as Stanwigga.

 

It is generally believed that the name means Stone dwellings Stone farm or Stone village. It has been suggested that this could be because the village was noted for its quarries and houses built of stone, or that it could have derived its name from the Roman Villa, which was built of stone.

1801 -  332

1811 -  397

1821 -  424

1831 -  503

1841 -  577

1851 -  609

1861 -  669

1871 -  678

1881 -  653

1891 -  714

1901 -  901

1911 -  922

1921 -  929

1931 -  928

1961 - 1036

1971 - 1284

1981 - 1343

1991 - 1482

2001 - 1924

Population figures

year

pop.

To carry out the inclosures in Stanwick, 3 Commissioners and 2 Surveyors were appointed in 1834.The whole process was finally completed in 1838.

 

There were strict rules about the means of enclosing the various allotments.

 

Boundary fences were to be made with 'proper ditches 4 ft wide and 2 feet deep within the line of stakes upon the level surface ground and planted with double rows of good quicksets on the banks or sides.  When so made and planted they should be guarded on both sides with sufficient posts and rails.  Posts and 3 rails on the ditch side and posts and 2 rails on the bank side.'

 

They could, however, choose to build walls as an alternative, which many did.  It was decreed that 'these should be built of stone, and shall not be less than 4ft 6 inches high above the level surface of the ground'.

 

Many of these stone walls still survive, although some appear to have been lowered.  Unfortunately, in recent years,  some have been replaced by brick walls and fences.

The Inclosures